Small Town Stay-cation Guide
St. Joseph Area
Includes Benton Harbor, Stevensville, and St. Joseph
When you see the sun sparkling on the waves, smell the aroma of fresh-made sweets wafting down brick-paved streets or hear children squealing in delight on our warm beaches, you’ll know you’ve arrived in St. Joseph (St. Joe to our friends).
Take time to visit downtown shops, dine at eclectic eateries, splash in the interactive fountain, explore a museum or attend great events.
There’s so much else to do, too!
Spend the night and let the fun continue.
Things to Do
- Krasl Art Center: The Krasl Art Center is located in downtown St. Joseph, overlooking Lake Michigan. The KAC has three public galleries, five studios, a library/lecture room, a black and white wet darkroom, a gift shop, and a permanent collection of 42 works of sculpture.
- Purely Michigan: We offer products focused on Michigan. New products but with a vintage feel. Find gifts, souvenirs, beer, wine, and more.
- Sarett Nature Center: Sarett is a community nature center located along the Paw Paw River Valley. We have 1000 acres, 5 miles of trails, a nature center building, and a tree top walkway.
- Silver Beach Carousel: 48 unique carousel figures and two chariots are whirling with excitement to see you. Come pick your favorite and ride beneath 1000 twinkling lights as the band organ’s music happily soars and dips.
- The Golf Club at Harbor Shores: Harbor Shores is the first beach, golf, and residential waterfront community in Michigan’s Great Southwest and the only Jack Nicklaus Signature Course on Lake Michigan.
- The Heritage Museum & Cultural Center: Whether you’re a visitor or a long-time resident, let us take you on a journey through the history of Michigan’s lake frontier. The Heritage Museum & Cultural Center also presents historical tours around our community.
Where to Eat/Drink
- 12 Corners Vineyards: We have a 115-acre estate planted with both vinifera and hybrid grapes. Riesling, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Chardonnay and Traminette are but a sampling of the varieties we offer as wines for your palate’s pleasure.
- Bistro on the Boulevard: Delight in breakfast, lunch, dinner, or signature cocktails served in the Bistro on the Boulevard. The Bistro offers French style cuisine featuring locally grown and sustainable foods. Daily specials reflect seasonal ingredients and attention to detail.
- Silver Harbor Brewing Company: Silver Harbor Brewing features a locally inspired new american style lunch and dinner menu plus 10-15 handcrafted beers on tap. The taproom room highlights an amazing 100+ year old building with plenty of character to enjoy!
- The Livery: The Livery is a craft beer brewery, focusing on ales, lagers, stouts, and meads; along with a barrel program that produces sour/wild ales and bourbon barrel aged offerings. Our brewpub also features an extensive kitchen menu and live music!
- Vineyard 2121: An idyllic getaway that invites you to a relaxing day, encourages a delicious wine experience, and welcomes your next exciting event to take place here!
- White Pine Winery: White Pine Winery showcases Southwest Michigan’s finest wines and warm hospitality in our lakeshore destination. We produce a range of delicious red and white wines and specialize in aromatic whites like Riesling and Pinot Gris.
Places to Stay
- Chalet on the Lake: Enjoy a new kind of vacation freedom on 36 acres where you can tailor your time to suit your style and mood with a beach, swimming pools, tennis courts, nature trails, volleyball, playgrounds, nearby golf courses & winery tours.
- Coloma/St.Joseph KOA Holiday: The closest KOA in SW Michigan to beautiful Lake Michigan puts you only minutes away from several beaches in the St. Joseph and South Haven communities.
- Comfort Suites Stevensville: Come relax and unwind in our all-suite hotel in the heart of Southwest Michigan’s sunset coast. In the heart of Michigan’s finest world class vineyards -renowned for distinguished wines and just minutes away from the shores of Lake Michigan.
- Courtyard St. Joseph Benton Harbor: Whether your here for business or pleasure, you will find all the amenities you need in one place. We are a short drive to many great attractions like local wineries, Warren Dunes, and the kids museum.
- Hilton Garden Inn Benton Harbor/St. Joseph: This full-service, Benton Harbor hotel is centrally located, making it easy to visit beautiful beaches, golf courses, world class wineries, art galleries, elegant cafes and more.
- Holiday Inn Express: You can expect a warm welcome, beautiful accommodations and terrific amenities when you choose this hotel for a business trip or vacation in Michigan. Overlooking Lake Michigan, our hotel’s location is ideal.
- Holiday Inn Express of Benton Harbor: Silver Beach and Lake Michigan are both close to this hotel’s location along I-94 . Its location is ideal for getting to nearby business, and also places you near the best local attractions.
- Inn at Harbor Shores: The Inn was built and appointed to luxury resort standards in a manner best described as understated elegance. The Inn offers ninety-two rooms and luxury suites with Lake Michigan views.
- Silver Beach Hotel: Nestled in the heart of St. Joseph, the cozy Silver Beach Hotel has the amenities you desire. Guest at Silver Beach Hotel enjoy the comfort of home, while being surrounded by everything St. Joseph has to offer.
- Spring Hill Suites of Benton Harbor: Travel in style at SpringHill Suites by Marriott, the all-suite hotel that seamlessly blends design and functionality at an affordable price. Spacious suites and vibrant lobby offer flexible spaces perfect for working, meeting or relaxing.
- Staybridge Suites of Benton Harbor: This location is ideal for leisure guests visiting the local wineries, golf courses or the Silver Beach and the North Pier Lighthouse.The hotel has easy access to I-94 and located near different restaurant and shopping options.
- Super 8 Stevensville: Enjoy our outdoor pool. Great restaurants, wineries, museums & beaches complement your stay. Six miles south of downtown St. Joseph and 1/2-mile north of I-94 exit 23.
- The Boulevard Inn: Relax in newly remodeled all-suite accommodations at The Boulevard Inn, ideally nestled atop the bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. Enjoy a complimentary breakfast buffet served in the Bistro on the Boulevard each morning.
- Southwestern Michigan Tourist Council: Our corner of the state offers so much to do and so much to see, it’s amazing it all fits in and around St. Joseph!
- St. Joseph Today: Take time to visit downtown shops, dine at eclectic eateries, splash in the interactive fountain, explore a museum or attend great events.
Other Nearby Stops
Bridgman (21 minute drive)
- Weko Beach Park Campground: More than 900 feet of Lake Michigan beach, 43 developed sites, 22 primitive sites, four log camping cabins. Bathhouse, restrooms, dump station and swimming. We take reservations on cabins only.
Niles (35 minute drive)
- Shelton’s Farm Market: Shelton’s Farm Market has grown from a small seasonal “open air” market to the most complete and unique specialty retail food operation in the Michiana area. We specialize in providing the best available produce and other “Fresh and Natural” foods, both homegrown and from all corners of the world.