Small Town Stay-cation Guide
South Haven Area
Includes Bangor, Covert, South Haven
Located on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan at the mouth of the Black River, South Haven has plenty of sparkling water and sandy beaches to go around.
Our town offers a wide variety of activities year around, but summer time is when it really shines (literally).
Beach fun, fishing, golfing or shopping – South Haven has it all, including a deep-water harbor.
Things to Do
- Liberty Hyde Bailey Museum: The Bailey Museum, a National Historical Site, is the childhood home of adventurer, scholar and America’s Father of Modern Horticulture, Dr. Liberty Hyde Bailey.
- Michigan Maritime Museum: Experience sailing on a tall ship on Lake Michigan, exhibits on Michigan maritime history, a center for the teaching of boat building and related maritime skills, and a regionally renowned research library.
- Degrandchamp Farms: Since 1958, this family-run farm has developed into 200 acres of blueberries along with a retail market and u-pick blueberry operation. In 1994, the first cranberries were planted and now there are currently 40 acres of cranberries.
- Dutch Farm Market: Escape the hustle & bustle to enjoy a leisurely stop just north of South Haven. Discover where the world-renowned Red Haven Peach & all other Haven varieties of peaches were born. Also, choose from our wide variety of mouth-watering apples.
- Herbology A Medical Cannabis Dispensary: Our provisioning center offers a variety of Michigan cannabis products, grown and sourced locally by fellow Michiganders. Educational seminars and meet-and-greets to help educate patients on the power of our favorite plant.
- Lakeshore Harvest Country: Lots of Farm Fresh Fun awaits you in Lakeshore Harvest Country! We grow fruits and vegetables between Saugatuck and South Haven, helped along by the fresh Lake Michigan breezes.
- Overhiser Orchards: Whether you prefer picked produce or enjoy picking your own, you will find fresh fruits and vegetables in season just waiting for you. Pies, cider, jams,maple syrup and honey will also be found at our retail site at 6405 109th Ave.
Where to Eat/Drink
- Barden’s Farm Market: We grow over 60 acres of vegetables and fruit. Our bakery/kitchen has farm-fresh pies, donuts, breads, cookies, homemade jams and salsa and guacamole.Now offering Michigan craft beer and wine!
- Cogdal Vineyards Home of Little Man Winery: Visit our artfully crafted and inviting tasting room located a 1/2 mile from the the shores of Lake Michigan. Start with a drive through the vineyard and end with excellent wines, great service, and beautiful views.
- Mcintosh Apple Orchards & Winery: Visit our orchard to browse through our farm market and cider mill. Watch cider being fermented into hard cider. U-pick and ready-picked cherries (sweet and tart), peaches, pears, apples and plums. Pitted tart cherries (fresh and frozen).
- Taste: ‘Taste’ is a small plates restaurant, showcasing signature, premium martinis and affordable small plates cuisine to share with family and friends..
Places to Stay
- Covert Park Beach & Campground: Covert Park has 62 sites on 50 acres of shaded woodland. Featuring both developed and primitive sites, all campsites are within a five minute walk to the beach.
- Covert/South Haven KOA: While at the campground you can enjoy a heated pool, playground area, theme weekends, movie nights, pancake breakfasts, a snack bar, hayrides, crafts, nature trails, and our own u-pick blueberry patch.
- Baymont Inn & Suites South Haven: Stay at our Baymont Inn & Suites South Haven hotel for easy access to Lake Michigan, just a mile away. Close to Kal-Haven Trail, the Michigan Maritime Museum, and Lake Michigan.
- Comfort Suites South Haven: Conveniently located less than one mile from I-196, just two miles from downtown. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors! If you’re leaving early, a Grab & Go bag is available.
- Lake Bluff Inn & Suites: With rooms including luxury suites with Jacuzzi tubs and kitchenettes, Lake Bluff Inn & Suites is one of South Haven’s premier resorts. They are located on 6 acres of lush surroundings and breathtaking scenery overlooking a 70 foot bluff on Lake Michigan.
- Sleepy Hollow Resort: A family vacation destination located on magnificent Lake Michigan offering breathtaking sunsets, a supervised children’s program, a heated outdoor pool, a playground, complimentary bikes, and so much more!
- South Haven Sunny Brook RV Resort: Sunny Brook RV Resort is a 65 acre luxury RV resort. Located 3 miles from Lake Michigan, they offer nightly, monthly and seasonal rental. Clubhouse, pool, bathhouse, and laundry facility. 50/30/20 amp on all sites. Free wi-fi.
- Sun ‘N Sand Resort: Our historic property features clean and comfortable accommodations at a great value. Sun ‘n Sand features a brand new saltwater pool, a pond with waterfall, volleyball/badminton, horseshoe pit, firepit, other outdoor games, and a walking trail.
- The Fields of Michigan: The Fields is a first-of-its-kind luxury glamping experience located in the countryside of South Haven. A night inside the enchanted tents of The Fields is a night unlike anything you have experienced.
- Yelton Manor Boutique Hotel B&B: A stone’s throw from the beach and walkable to everything in the laid-back resort of South Haven, but blissfully out of earshot of the harbor and nightlife. Not a highway hotel, not a funky forgotten cottage, not quaint, but a new-fashioned step up for the rest of us.
- Kal Haven Outpost: We have wooded tent sites, RV sites with power and water hookups, and spacious cabins available to rent! We are on 50 acres connected to the Kal-Haven Trail and just outside beautiful South Haven!
- Sunny Brook RV Resort: A 65 acre luxury RV resort located three miles from Lake Michigan.
- South Haven/Van Buren County Convention & Visitors Bureau: This one-of-a-kind Michigan Beachtown cannot be fully appreciated by reading about it in a brochure, cannot be touched even through the most technologically-advanced website, and all the beautiful sunset photos in the world cannot do it justice.
Other Nearby Stops
Paw Paw (38 minute drive)
- Leduc Blueberries: Located 11 miles west of Kalamazoo and south of M-43 on 30th Street, Leduc Farms has been in the blueberry business for over 50 years. Our gift shop offers many items including jams, jellies, coffees, teas, salsas, syrups, and cookbooks, just to name a few.
- Paw Paw Wine & Harvest Festival: Don’t miss the Paw Paw Wine & Harvest Festival in September! From fireworks to a classic car show, teen dances to the St. Julian Festival Parade, free trolley stop at all events making it easy to get to the free entertainment, beer tent, or grape stomp!
- St. Julian Winery and Tasting Room: Michigan’s oldest, largest and most awarded winery! Free guided tours daily & free tasting of our award-winning wines, champagnes & alcohol-free juices. Open all year.