Small Town Stay-cation Guide
Silver Lake Area
Includes Hart, Mears, New Era, Shelby
Located along Lake Michigan’s sweeping shoreline between Muskegon and Ludington, Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area is just a few hours from Chicago, Detroit, Traverse City and the Mackinac Bridge.
Our lofty, 2,000-acre sand mountain separates miles of Lake Michigan shoreline and the 690-acre inland Silver Lake, all waiting for you to set aside your deadlines and come out and play!
Things to Do
- Dale and Gail’s Music and Art Gallery: Art, Music, Silent Movies, & more in Hart.
- Mac Wood’s Dune Rides: This ride will highlight your vacation! Fun for all ages. Something you’ll want to experience often. Open early May to early Oct.
- Parrot’s Landing Jeep Rentals and Tours: Enjoy 500 acres of sand dune exploring with or without a guide in one our Jeeps. If you fancy the water for excitement, ski, tube, or launch a jet-ski watercraft.
- Rennhack Orchards Market: Featuring our own fresh fruits & vegetables, free samples, local & Michigan-made food and gift items, and unique & useful gift baskets.
- Silver Lake Buggy Rentals: Enjoy the freedom of exploring the Silver Lake sand dunes driving your own ATV or 2-seat dune buggy. Cruise the dunes, picnic on the beach or swim in Lake Michigan.
- Lewis Adventure Farm & Zoo: From our unique animal encounters to our 46+ fun farm attractions, our family-friendly activities ensure everyone will have things to do!
Where to Eat/Drink
- Country Dairy: We are a producer-handler, which means that we own & control the process from our herd of registered Holsteins, to our modern processing plant, to the gallon of milk on your store shelf. By doing this, we provide you the the freshest & best tasting milk!
- The Fox Barn Market & Winery: Taste wines at the bar then enjoy your favorite with a ‘Barn Bites’ food board on the outdoor patio. Select fresh produce in season & choose from a variety of specialty foods.
Places to Stay
- Dunes Harbor Family Camp: Dunes Harbor Family Camp is a premier Christian family campground next to Silver Lake and the Sand Dunes. There is family programming for all ages including hiking trails, horseback riding, craft times, movie nights, and much more.
- Hideaway Campground and Resort: Family campground with 215 wooded campsites. Close to Lake Michigan, Silver Lake & area attractions.
- Sandy Shores Campground: Helping families create lasting memories on their camping trips to Silver Lake. Today, more than ever, spending quality time with your family in the great outdoors is essential.
- Sierra Sands Family Lodge: Sierra Sands Family Lodge is family-friendly lodging at Silver Lake Sand Dunes.
- Silver Sands Resort: Rooms, suites, cottages, watercraft, motel rooms, cottages and suites w/heated pool, private lakefront on Silver Lake overlooking the spectacular sand dunes.
- Stony Haven Campground & Cabins: Quiet, wooded, christian, alcohol free, family camping. One mile to Stony Lake & Lake Michigan. Near Silver Lake Dunes & Michigan’s Adventure.
- Silver Lake Sand Dunes-Hart Visitor Bureau: Swimming, boating, building sand castles…every activity you can imagine is available here on the shores of Lake Michigan and Silver Lake. Hike or bike our tree-lined trails. Explore our neighboring villages and towns. Fish and play golf.
Other Nearby Stops
Pentwater (23 minute drive)
- Pentwater Historical Society: Visit us, visit Pentwater; see the interactive displays, research our archives, view displays of a more contemporary nature that reflect history as it is being created today, explore the past present and future with us
Rothbury (25 minute drive)
- Double JJ Resort: Escape the city and experience scenic horseback trail rides, golf, waterparks, on-site dining, and a variety of lodging – all coupled with a laid-back feel and wonderful hospitality.