Small Town Stay-cation Guide
Includes Petoskey, Alanson, Bay Harbor
From million-dollar sunsets to the charm of our shopping districts, the atmosphere invites you to relax, rejuvenate and reconnect.
Wineries, breweries, food and wine tours and culinary stops make this the perfect choice for foodies to visit.
The memories of sharing a special time here with family and friends will last a lifetime.
Things to Do
- Grandpa Shorter’s Gifts: A favorite source of treasures from Northern Michigan offering Lynn Haney Collectible Santas, Minnetonka Moccasins, home decor and native gifts.
- Great Lakes Center for the Arts: A cultural and social hub in Northern Michigan offering year-round events across all genres—music, dance, theater, movies and film, intellectual dialogue, education—making it a regional and national performing arts destination.
- The Michigan Hemingway Society: We focus on the Michigan influence in Ernest Hemingway’s work, especially the Nick Adams Stories.
- Odawa Casino Resort: From the moment you enter, you’ll know you’ve made the right choice. You’ll also find multiple dining options with exemplary service, impressive wine lists and distinctive menus that will amaze as well as satisfy the most discriminating palates.
- Village at Bay Harbor: Tucked along five miles of Lake Michigan shoreline, Bay Harbor is a prime destination for vacationers and residents alike.
- Bay Harbor Lake Marina: Boaters at the marina are attracted by more than the first-class amenities the marina offers – they enjoy being a part of the community. Shared cookouts, dock parties, and day trips make the marina feel more like a neighborhood.
Where to Eat/Drink
- Kilwin’s Chocolate Kitchen: Take a free Chocolate-Making Guided Tour and see how we make our confections and enjoy free samples!
- Maple Moon Sugarbush and Winery: We are a family run sugarbush and America’s First and Only Maple Winery!
- Petoskey Wine Region: The grapes and wines that make up the Petoskey Wine Region are as distinct as those from France and Europe. Rich, robust grapes that thrive in cold temperatures to produce deep, inviting flavors that win acclaim along with national and international awards.
- Terrace Inn and 1911 Restaurant: We are located in the heart of Bay View, Association, just 1 mile north of downtown Petoskey’s quaint shopping district. We have 38 rooms on three floors and on-site restaurant with bar.
Places to Stay
- Apple Tree Inn Hotel: Relax at Apple Tree Inn, a AAA 3-Diamond, Victorian-style inn w/breathtaking views of Little Traverse Bay.
- Bay Harbor Village Hotel & Conference Center: For weekend events or a vacation destination, choose from a variety of lodging options including bedrooms, studios, and suites. Vacation home rentals are also available.
- Courtyard by Marriott Petoskey at Victories Square: The new state-of-the-art lobby at Courtyard provides greater flexibility and choices for our guests. At the center of it all is The Bistro, your destination for a great breakfast, or drinks and dinner during the evening.
- Days Inn Petoskey: Whether you are looking for family-friendly activities, a romantic setting for two, or thrilling outdoor adventure, our hotel is surrounded by a variety of entertaining activities.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites: Across from the New Odawa Casino. The Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites “Valley View” is Petoskey’s newest hotel.
- Inn at Bay Harbor, Autograph Collection: Heralded as one of Travel + Leisure’s Top 500 hotels in the world, this modern resort oasis spins luxurious comfort with a welcoming smile and gracious hospitality that lets you know you have arrived somewhere special.
- Michigan Vacation Destinations: With four contemporary, warm and upscale Northern Michigan hotels in the vacation towns of Mackinaw City and Petoskey, we offer more than a place to rest your head.
- Stafford’s Bay View Inn: Our flagship property, Stafford’s Bay View Inn, offers guests the grace and romance of a bygone era, set against the exquisite views of Little Traverse Bay.
- Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites: Nestled in Alanson on the picturesque Crooked River on the historic Inland Waterway, Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge is a family-friendly hotel and open year round, featuring an indoor pool and hot tub and is within arms reach to river and recreational activities.
- Stafford’s Perry Hotel: Perched high on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan, the Perry Hotel welcomes you to their historic corner of the north country.
- Emmet County: Because of its natural amenities, Emmet County has remained committed to providing world-class parks and recreational opportunities to its residents and visitors.
- Petoskey Area Visitors Bureau: Spectacular natural beauty and an unhurried pace combine to let you settle back and unwind as the days lazily pass by.
- Petoskey Regional Chamber of Commerce: Petoskey, Michigan is an upscale resort community that is nestled along the shores of Lake Michigan’s Little Traverse Bay. People come to Petoskey to enjoy year-round recreational opportunities.