Small Town Stay-cation Guide
Harbor Country Area
Includes Lakeside, New Buffalo, Sawyer, Three Oaks, Union Pier
Harbor Country combines the best of both worlds — endless days at the beach and countrysides brimming with farms and orchards.
Add a vibrant arts and culture community, a lively local food scene, and an explosion of world-class wineries, craft breweries and distilleries, it’s no wonder that Harbor Country has also become a year-round home for ex-urbanites in search of a slower pace of life amid the natural beauty of the Lake Michigan shore.
Things to Do
- Four Winds New Buffalo: At Four Winds New Buffalo, the excitement never stops. Whether you like to play penny slots or $100 machines, Four Winds New Buffalo has your game.
Where to Eat/Drink
- Journeyman Distillery: Journeyman Distillery is a hand-crafted, certified organic and certified kosher whiskey and spirits distillery located in the historic Featherbone Factory in Three Oaks.
- Ghost Isle Brewery: Overlooking the Galien River Wetlands and Ghost Isle, this brewery dives into the depths of experimentation and creates unique beers and flavors to keep things new and exciting.
Places to Stay
- Firefly Resort: Eighteen charming one and two-bedroom cottages complete with all the amenities. Enjoy outdoor grills, picnic nooks, perennial gardens, and bonfires at dusk. The perfect place for weekend getaways on the shores of Lake Michigan.
- Gordon Beach Inn: A historic inn built in the 1920s, recognized on the State of Michigan register as a State Historical site. It was renovated in 1992, with hand-stenciled walls and corridors with designs based on botanical themes and local Native American patterns.
- Lakeside Inn: Reminiscent of an era of casual elegance. Renovated in the ’90s and hosting 31 rooms, many facing the lake, some with jacuzzi tubs. 100 foot long front porch lined w/rockers.
- Marina Grand Resort: Just a short walk to New Buffalo’s quaint downtown and spectacular Lake Michigan beach, Marina Grand Resort is ideal for weekend getaways. We provide highly personal service and unexpected touches not found in larger, branded properties.
- Sweethaven Resort: Relax at Sweethaven – a spacious, family-friendly resort near Lake Michigan beaches, wineries, art galleries, cafés, restaurants, and more. Both child and pet friendly, our fully furnished rental cottages are available for your getaway all seasons.
- The White Rabbit Inn B&B: Enjoy some R&R (Relaxation and Romance!) at this romantic couples’ retreat. Rooms feature whirlpools, fireplaces, privacy, and breakfast for two. Knotty pine cabins with private outdoor hot tubs also available.
- Waya Rentals: Relaxing, well-appointed vacation rental properties in Southwest Michigan’s Harbor Country. Pet-friendly homes available. Don’t just have a place to go: find a place that feels like your second home.
- Harbor Country Chamber of Commerce: Harbor Country combines the best of both worlds — endless days at the beach and countrysides brimming with farms and orchards.