Small Town Stay-cation Guide
Baldwin is one of Michigan’s top water recreation areas. It is situated on the Baldwin River, about three miles north of where it meets the Pere Marquette River.
Known as a premier canoeing experience and for its specialty fishing lure and equipment shops, not to mention gifts and antiques as well.
Lake County also has a wide variety of lodging, shops, galleries, and restaurants to offer in the towns of Baldwin, Branch, Chase, Idlewild, Irons, and Luther, as well as many lodges with dining located around the lakes.
Where to Eat/Drink
- Jones Homemade Ice Cream: Famous for our homemade ice cream and soda fountain treats served “The Old Fashioned Way” since 1942.
Things to Do/Places to Stay
- Pere Marquette River Lodge: The Pere Marquette River Lodge is nestled on the banks of the world famous Pere Marquette River. We are the only Platinum Level Orvis Dealer and Orvis Endorsed Lodging Outfitter Guide Service in the mid-west.
- Red Moose Lodge: Lodging on the banks of the Pere Marquette River. Cabins open year-round. Guide service available for salmon/steelhead trout.
- Wolf Lake Ranch: Wolf Lake Ranch (WLR) offers a one-of-a-kind getaway that makes it easy to take a step back from the hustle and bustle of modern life. Located in western Michigan, the ranch is just north of Baldwin off Hwy M37, and within the beautiful Manistee National Forest.
- Lake County Chamber of Commerce: Nearly half of Lake County is public land, creating a vast, all seasons, natural setting for fun. Trails for various activities, world-class streams & picturesque lakes await your discovery, along with one-of-a-kind attractions & events.
Other Nearby Stops
Hersey (29 minute drive)
- Blodgett Landing Campground: Enjoy camping at our campsites for tents and all types of RVs. Hike the Pere-Marquette Rails-to-Trails, fish to your heart’s content and have the time of your life in the great outdoors among our 29 acres of natural beauty.
Big Rapids Area (37 minute drive)
- CranHill: Come experience dynamic programs, camps and activities at Cran-Hill Ranch, a family-friendly Christian facility. We also offer special needs camps and day camps.
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Conference Center: The Holiday Inn Hotel and Conference Center, located on the campus of Ferris State University Athletics in Big Rapids, is the perfect location for your next conference, training or golf outing.
- Mecosta County Convention and Visitors Bureau: If you are an outdoor enthusiast, this is the place to be! Enjoy championship golf, abundant state land, over 100 lakes and the Muskegon River- the second longest river in the state of Michigan! Mecosta County is perfect for hunting, fishing, tubing, color tours and exploring. Home town shopping as well as name brand stores and restaurants. Home of Ferris State University.