Small Town Stay-cation Guide
Includes Allegan and Hopkins
Allegan County is located in the southwest region of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan.
It has approximately 827 square miles of land and 1006 square miles of water, with 25 miles of coastline along beautiful Lake Michigan.
Allegan has much to offer its residents and visitors.
Summer activities include swimming, fishing water skiing, equestrian trails, and camping, and winter activities include skiing and snowmobiling.
There is wine tasting at the vineyards and apple, peach and cherry picking in the orchards.
Things to Do
- Allegan County Parks, Recreation & Tourism: Visit the county’s eight parks, plus the 55-mile Allegan County Equestrian Trail System. The parks offer a variety of boating, swimming, fishing, camping, horseback riding, playground, and other passive and active recreation opportunities.
- Allegan Event: Allegan Event is Michigan’s largest indoor ropes course for all ages to explore.
- Allegan Farmer’s Market: Allegan Farmers Market offers a wide variety of seasonal fruits, vegetables, herbs, annuals, perennials, cut flowers, and much more homegrown goodness.
- Allegan Antiques Market: This antique market opened in 1978 with 190 exhibitors and has since grown to over 400! Check for their monthly show schedule.
- Allegan County Fair: Rodeo, Tractor Pulls, Demolition Derby and parade, and two days of Harness Racing. Annual fair starts the first Friday after Labor Day and runs nine days.
Where to Eat/Drink
- The Grill House: Become the Grillmaster at The Grill House, where the grill is hot and the choice steaks are ready to sizzle. Show off your talents at the 8′ x 10′ grill, where a grill assistant is always available to lend advice if needed.
Places to Stay
- Sandy Pines Recreational Community: As the largest privately owned campground in the state, our 800 acres of scenic lake and woodland property are the perfect playground for kids and adults alike, offering relaxation, fun, and tradition.
- Hidden Ridge RV Resort: Surrounded by mature trees and two pristine lakes for paddle boating and fishing, our gated resort is for guests who prefer a rustic environment while enjoying deluxe amenities.
Other Nearby Stops
Otsego (15 minute drive)
- Lynx GC and Lynx Grill: This highly rated, superbly conditioned golf course boasts six holes along the Kalamazoo River. The LYNX Grill is located in the clubhouse, perched high above the 18th green, offering a spectacular view of the Kalamazoo River Valley, and if you time it right, the perfect place to watch a gorgeous West Michigan sunset.
Plainwell (21 minute drive)
- Four Roses Cafe: We are a casual, fine dining cafe with a focus on fresh, flavorful dishes and outstanding service. We strive to use local farmers and vendors whenever possible, and emphasize fresh, sustainable products.
Richland (36 minute drive)
- Gull Meadow Farms: Whether you’re looking to spend the day picking apples, hanging out at the petting farm, or getting lost in the 6-acre corn maze, Gull Meadow Farms has something for everyone!