A new meat company is coming to the Ludington area offering a premier meat market, butcher block, deli, smokehouse, barbecue and bar – promising to be both a convenience for local shoppers and a culinary destination for visitors to West and Northern Michigan. And it can even be a place to meet friends for a bite and a drink.
Ludington Meat Company, operated by brothers Alec Sanders and Corey Sanders, will open late fall at 3815 US-10 off of US-31 in Ludington. Construction build-out has already begun in the 14,600 square-foot building that served as a former Staples office supply store.
“It has always been our lifelong dream to open a meat market destination in our beautiful hometown of Ludington,” said co-owner Corey Sanders. “We have a passion for manufacturing, curing, and smoking quality meats. We are thrilled to bring a new brand of meat products to this region of Michigan to serve our community and those who visit.”
Ludington Meat Company will offer an extensive variety of fresh smoked meats; fresh and frozen beef, pork, poultry, fish and seafood; plus accompaniments.
“We want to offer a large variety of quality products and be a ‘one-stop-shop’ with everything you need for a perfect meal, special occasion, large party or gathering,” said co-owner Alec Sanders. “We also plan to stock as many Michigan-made products as possible.”
Ludington Meat Company will feature:
- On-site smokehouses for cooking the company’s own signature brand of bacon, ham, sausages, bratwursts, snack sticks, jerky, salami, hot dogs, bologna and more smoked meat products.
- Butcher block and market with extensive meat product line including a large selection of fresh cuts of beef and pork, a variety of fresh and frozen poultry, fish, and seafood products – many locally harvested in Michigan and the Midwest.
- Full-service deli counter featuring Ludington Meat Co. brand smoked meats, made-to-order sandwiches, and a variety of salad options. National brands such as Boar’s Head meats and cheeses also will be available.
- Deer processing center specializing in a large selection of sausages with convenient vacuum-seal packaging.
- In-house taproom/grill serving 4-6 beers on draft (including Michigan craft beer), wine and liquor for shoppers to “sip and shop” or enjoy a beverage and bite at the indoor seating area. An adjacent grill will serve a limited menu of fresh-cooked barbecue items and a daily special for on-site or to-go dining.
- Outdoor patio/beer garden in front of the restaurant, featuring a 25’ x 45’ patio area with tables for consuming purchased food and drink on site and space for lawn games.
The store also will serve as a specialty grocer, offering fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables; grilling accompaniments like fresh breads, spices, sauces, marinades, condiments and cheeses; wine, craft and domestic beer; and picnic/camping supplies.
Local business partners and Mason County natives Corey Sanders, Alec Sanders, and Matt Urka teamed up to make their business dream a reality. Alec and Corey Sanders grew up in the meat industry with decades of experience and knowledge in meat slaughtering, processing, cutting, curing, smoking and packaging. Graduates of Grand Valley State University, Corey received his bachelor’s degree in Finance and Business Management, and Alec received his bachelor’s degree in Business Management. Matt Urka, a business management graduate of Grand Valley State University, is the president of Urka Auto Center in Ludington.
Ludington Meat Company will employ approximately 20 staff in a combination of full-time and part-time positions. Employment application forms are posted at ludingtonmeatco.com.