Every Aisle is a Gourmet Adventure
For 112 years, Russo’s International Market has provided West Michigan with the largest selection of wine, beer, gourmet food and housewares. Giovanni B. Russo came to Grand Rapids in 1902 from the small village of Montelepre, Sicily. He worked for the gas company until he saved enough money to fund his own store in 1905. His first small store was in East Grand Rapids ,at Reeds Lakw.
In 1908, he purchased the building at 746-752 S. Division in Grand Rapids, the heart of what was then called “Little Italy” where parents and siblings also worked with him. When his only son, Frank, was born in 1916, the company name was changed from G.B. Russo Importer to G.B. Russo & Son. The store thrived and survived throughout The Great Depression, natural disasters, and even riots.
In 1976, G.B. Russo & Son needed more retail space and parking and moved to its current location on 29th Street. Although involved throughout their childhood, Frank’s sons, Phil and Dave now became involved full-time with the day-to-day business. They gradually absorbed many key activities of the business and are now the owners of G.B. Russo & Son.
In 2008, the business again needed more retail space and parking. The decision was made to double the size of the store to 18,000 square feet. Since then, customers marvel at the size and selection of products in the remodeled store. Today, the store has a 45 foot deli case with over 300 meats and cheeses from around the world, olives, fresh baked breads, oils, private label pastas and sauces, our own homemade Villa Russo frozen entrees and more.
In 2017, G.B. Russo & Son celebrates their 112th anniversary as a (4ht generation) family owned and operated market. Now called Russo’s International Market, the Russo family continues to serve West Michigan with the best selection of wines, cheese, groceries, and more!