The Ottawa County Parks and Recreation Commission voted to extend park hours at Pigeon Creek Park at their monthly meeting on December 2.
“Regular winter park hours (7 am-8 pm) begin on October 16 each year,” said Jason Shamblin, Ottawa County Parks & Recreation Director. “Although, with three miles of lit trails and no snow to begin our winter operations, the commission agreed to extend the park hours for hikers and bikers to 10 pm.”
As usual, when winter operations begin and trails are groomed for cross-country skiing the park will close to hikers, dogs, and mountain bikers.
“We are so pleased to be able to make this adjustment at Pigeon Creek Park, especially during these stressful times,” said Shamblin. “By the time many of us finish with our work day, myself included, it’s too dark to get out for a hike. Between turning on the trail lights and extending our operating hours, we hope to help more individuals and families spend more time outside.”
After publishing its first Sustainability Plan in 2017, the Ottawa County Parks & Recreation Department began to transition to LED trail lights. Making this switch has allowed the lights to remain on more often without additional cost.
Pigeon Creek Lodge & Equipment Rental
Ski and snowshoe rental will be available at the Pigeon Creek Lodge this year! We believe getting outside is more important to our health and wellness than ever. Although, visitors should expect some adjustments to our operation this year:
- Masks/face coverings will be required everywhere except out on ski/snowshoe trails, including the sledding hill.
- Rental equipment is only available during satisfactory snow conditions and our rental hours have changed. Before you visit, check our trail conditions page for lodge and rental information: miOttawa.org/
- Ski and snowshoe rental will be available in the lodge. Capacity will be limited inside the rental area; be prepared to wait outdoors.
- The Lodge will not be open for warming or concessions. Please bring your own snacks and beverages, and be prepared to use your vehicle as base camp.
- Modern restrooms in the lodge will be open.
For more information, please visit: https://miottawa.org/