M-185, the state highway that encircles Mackinac Island, is now fully open to the public, but with limitations.
Riders should be aware that portions of the road, especially on the north and east side of the island, may only be gravel. Additionally, portions of the road have been eroded away, and pylons, barricades and cones mark those spots. Some areas of the road are down to one lane, and Mackinac State Historic Parks officials cannot stress enough the importance of riding those areas with caution.
It is strongly encouraged to not ride M-185 after dark, and riders under the influence of alcohol should not travel the road.
Mackinac State Historic Parks thanks visitors and residents of Mackinac Island for their patience while the road has been under repair. Ride safe!
Mackinac State Historic Parks, a family of living history museums and parks in northern Michigan’s Straits of Mackinac, is an agency within the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Its sites – which are accredited by the American Alliance of Museums – include Fort Mackinac, the Biddle House, The Richard and Jane Manoogian Mackinac Art Museum, Historic Downtown Mackinac, and Mackinac Island State Park on Mackinac Island, and Colonial Michilimackinac, Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse, Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park and Michilimackinac State Park in Mackinaw City. Mackinac State Historic Parks is governed by the Mackinac Island State Park Commission, established in 1895 to protect, preserve and present the parks’ rich historic and natural resources for the education and recreation of future generations. Visitor information is available at (231) 436-4100 or online at mackinacparks.com.