Exhibitor handbooks will be available for pick up starting June 15! This date was extended due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the Executive Orders put in place, but the Berrien County Youth Fair has been working with some area essential businesses that are open and they have agreed to be pick up spots for the 2020 Berrien County Youth Fair Exhibitor Handbooks, along with the Berrien county public libraries. A huge thanks to Spectrum Health Lakeland for the sponsoring and printing of the 2020 Exhibitor Handbooks. Books and entry forms may be picked up at the Fair Office in Berrien Springs in the vestibule between the two entry doorways, Berrien County public libraries and the following Berrien County businesses. Equine entries will only be available online.
• Pater Hardware, St. Joseph
• Baroda City Mills, Baroda
• GreenMark Equipment, Eau Claire/Sodus
• Rural King, Niles
• Red & White Feed, Benton Harbor/Millburg
• Family Farm & Home, Benton Harbor
• Tractor Supply Co., Niles
• True Value Hardware, Coloma
• Watervliet Fruit Exchange, Watervliet
• Seifert’s Farm Supply, Three Oaks
• State Farm Insurance – Tom Rossman, New Buffalo
• Tractor Supply Co., Stevensville
• Harding’s Friendly Market, Bridgman
• Harding’s Friendly Market, Buchanan
Exhibitor handbooks can also be viewed online by specific department or the full book at www.bcyf.org. Exhibitor handbooks contain information on how to exhibit, exhibitor rules, registration deadlines and a complete listing of all classes available. Exhibitors must be five to twenty years of age to exhibit all animals, including livestock and still exhibits (crafts, home economics, horticulture, flowers). Age is determined as of January 1st of the current year.
Online registration will begin June 15th at 9:00 am. Once registered, (each year you will create a user name and password – it can be the same as last year’s) exhibitors can return to the program and add more entries up until each entry deadline. The exhibitor’s printed email confirmation will serve as the traditional yellow copy of the entry form and is required on entry day, just as the yellow copy of the traditional entry form is. The link for online entries can be found at
• JULY 1ST: Large animals (beef breeding, dairy, sheep, goats, swine, llamas/alpacas and equine)
• JULY 1ST: Small animals (rabbits, poultry, cats, dogs, pocket pets)
• AUGUST 1ST: Still exhibits (crafts, home economics, flowers, horticulture, variety classes)
No entries will be accepted after the deadline. Entry forms can be turned in anytime from June 15th until the appropriate deadline date.
Animal identification rules from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) include:
DAIRY & BEEF:
• Must have official USDA identification tag – Tag Hotline (800) 292-3939 OR Registered breed tattoo accompanied by breed registration papers
• Dairy cattle can use a DHIA tag as official id (Dairy Herd Improvement Assoc.).
• Must have official USDA Scrapie identification tag – Tag Hotline (517) 337-4705 OR Registered breed tattoo accompanied by breed registration papers
• Must have official USDA Scrapie tag – Tag Hotline (517) 337-4705
• The swine market ear tags provided by BCYF meet the requirements for the official ID for State & Fair guidelines
The USDA tag number must be on the entry form when it is turned in to the Fair Office by the July 1st deadline, so youth need to order their tags as soon as possible.
In addition to the USDA required ear tag, individuals registering market animals will also need BCYF market ear tags for those animals. Goats and sheep must be brought to the Fairgrounds from 5 pm to 8 pm on July 8 and 9 for tagging. Swine may be brought to the Fairgrounds on July 18 for tagging during the flu shot clinic or may be tagged at home, but must be tagged by August 1. Registrations will be accepted from June 15th up to the appropriate deadline date. Early registration is encouraged so deadlines are not missed. Contact the Fair Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
This year’s BCYF theme is “Diamonds are Fair-ever”; Fair dates are August 17- 22, 2020.