Michigan’s only professional ballet company, Grand Rapids Ballet, announced today its next show in the 2019-20 season will be perfect for those seeking variety as well as the ideal Valentine’s Day weekend activity.
Eternal Desire, a “mixed-bill” program featuring five different stand-alone pieces — including three never-before-seen world premieres — in one performance, will run Friday, February 14-16 at Peter Martin Wege Theatre.
“This program explores the timeless themes of love and desire from many angles, all told through the powerful medium of dance,” said Artistic Director James Sofranko. “From the classic balcony scene of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ to the contemporary look at love—and love lost—in ‘Wild Sweet Love,’ to the world premieres offering a fresh take on humanity and our innate desires, this program is full of hopes and dreams.”
The five different pieces are:
1. Romeo & Juliet Balcony Pas de Deux – Set to a soaring score by one of the 20th century’s major composers, Sergei Prokofiev, and choreographed by Artistic Director James Sofranko, this world premiere showcases Grand Rapids Ballet’s leading dancers’ breathtaking technique and artistry, as well as their talent as actors.
2. Wild Sweet Love – Trey McIntyre’s immensely popular and exhilarating piece makes its triumphant return to the Grand Rapids Ballet stage featuring the music of Queen, Roberta Flack, The Partridge Family, and more.
3. Give Me – Princess Grace Award winner and Grand Rapids Ballet Resident Choreographer Penny Saunders’ inclusive and playful duet set to the influential jazz musician Louis Armstrong’s A Kiss to Build a Dream On.
4. November – An exciting world premiere contemporary work from choreographer and audience favorite, Danielle Rowe, set to the music of Max Richter (Ad Astra, Mary Queen of Scotts, Miss Sloane) and Sergei Prokofiev.
5. [Untitled as of today’s date] – Featuring live music performed by ESME (Grand Rapids’ Eclectic String Music Ensemble) string quartet and a score by Philip Glass (The Hours, Notes on a Scandal, The Truman Show) and Ludwig Van Beethoven, the second world premiere in this program from Sofranko takes inspiration from the life and work of the theoretical physicist, Steven Hawking, and our infinite desire to understand our place in the universe.
Performance dates and times are:
• Friday, February 14 at 7:30 pm
• Saturday, February 15 at 2 pm (special one-hour family matinee – learn more at grballet.com/familymatinee)
• Saturday, February 15 at 7:30 pm
• Sunday, February 16 at 2 pm
All performances take place at Peter Martin Wege Theatre at 341 Ellsworth Avenue SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Tickets are available now at grballet.com/eternaldesire or by calling 616.454.4771 x10.
About Grand Rapids Ballet
Celebrating its 50th anniversary season in 2021-22, Grand Rapids Ballet—Michigan’s only professional ballet company—is committed to lifting the human spirit through the art of dance under the current leadership of James Sofranko as artistic director, Glenn Del Vecchio as executive director, and Attila Mosolygo as director of Grand Rapids Ballet School and its Junior Company. A proud recipient of the ArtServe Michigan Governor’s Arts Award for Outstanding Cultural Organization, Grand Rapids Ballet has a rich history marked by steady growth, a commitment to excellence, and strong community support.