Whether visitors like their chili mild or fiery hot, their chili-inspired desserts simply sweet or sweet and spicy, or toasty hot beverages, they will find more than 25 ways to chase away the chill during the 7th Annual Downtown Chili Tour on Jan. 25. The event takes place from 5 to 8 p.m. in downtown St. Joseph, Mich. Merchants and restaurants will offer samples of their favorite chili recipes in hopes of earning the People’s Choice Award determined by popular vote or the Chili Pepper Award determined by a panel of judges.
“There is a suggested donation of $2 per person which includes a map of participating locations that doubles as your voting ballot,” said Amy Zapal, executive director of St. Joseph Today. “A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Benton Harbor Soup Kitchen.”
Registrants will get a map of chili stop locations which they can turn in at the end of the night to vote for their favorite chili as well as be entered in a drawing for a $25 St. Joseph Today Gift Certificate good at more than 40 locations. The drawing will be held Jan. 28.
The following sites are this year’s chili stop locations:
- 221 Main
- Biggby Coffee featuring chili by Zoup!
- Bistro on the Boulevard
- Caffé Tosi featuring the SJHS Culinary Team – Mountaineers
- Chartreuse featuring chili by Sister Lakes Brewing
- Chocolate Café
- Forever Books featuring chili by Zion UCC
- Freedom Boat Club featuring chili by Sandbar & Grille
- FuzzyButz Pet Bakery featuring chili by Tapistry Brewing
- Glik’s featuring chili by Chili’s
- HaborTown Interiors featuring chili by RyeBelle’s
- Lazy Ballerina Winery
- Oh My Darlings featuring chili by LakeHouse Restaurant & Bar
- Olive Cart featuring chili by Papa Vino’s
- Perennial Accents featuring chili by The Grille at Harbor Shores
- Purely Michigan featuring chili by Black Dragon Meadery
- ReVive Spa featuring chili by Full Circle Café
- Schu’s Grill & Bar
- Silver Harbor Brewing
- St. Joseph Today featuring The Livery
- State Street Stuff featuring chili by Houndstooth
- The Buck Burgers & Brew
- The Candlestick Maker
- The Natural Gem
- The Whitcomb featuring chili by CK Catering
- Third Coast Surf Shop featuring chili by North Shore Inn & North Pier Brewing
- Vivi’s Italian Garden
- Wanderlust Outfitters featuring chili by Nosh Village
- Waterfront Framing & Fine ArtWhite Pine Winery featuring chili by Coach’s Bar & Grill
Zapal added that several non-chili locations are also “must stops” that evening because of their special sales and family-friendly entertainment. Guests looking to enjoy a full weekend of fun in St. Joseph can also still purchase tickets for the 4th Annual Winter Beer Fest. Tickets available at themendelcenter.com. For updates about the Chili Tour and future events, visit stjoetoday.com, facebook.com/stjoetoday or call 269-985-1111.
St. Joseph Today, a membership-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is dedicated to developing and promoting events and businesses in St. Joseph, Mich. and its surrounding communities. For more information about upcoming events, visit stjoetoday.com or facebook.com/stjoetoday.