Known as the “Nectar of the Gods,” Ice wine is made from grapes frozen on the vine. Harvested during temperatures between 15 to 18 degrees F, the grapes are pressed while still frozen, usually in January. The wine is known for its incredible natural sweetness and fruitiness, with all the delicate characters of fine Riesling wine. Decadent apricot, toasted caramel, and baked apple drench your palate with balanced sweetness in this stunning dessert wine. As a testament to the winery’s quality winemaking, Chateau Chantal was chosen among nine American Ice Wines to represent our nation at a Canadian state dinner at the White House in 2016.
The 2019 Ice Wine harvest has not yet taken place as temperatures haven’t been cold enough to freeze the fruit. The long-term forecast looks favorable for the end of January – perhaps just in time for the festival itself.
In celebration of this remarkable wine, festival events will range from family-friendly snowman building and ice sculptures to outdoor fire pits with roasted treats. The winery’s walking trail will be open for snowshoeing or skiing. Bring your own snow gear to experience winter in the vineyard. The festival will culminate with a multi-course Ice Wine education dinner on Saturday, including a tour of the cellar and winemaking process. Samples of multiple Ice Wines and pairing will be on hand all weekend along with a specialty dessert item.
Entrance to the celebration is free, with a fee to sample and attend the wine dinner or educational sessions. Ice Wine is a must-try experience that represents one of the most unique abilities of our Northern wine growing climate, something our famed California wineries to the West cannot produce! The winery has held back selections from previous Ice Wine vintages to showcase the wines.
Schedule of events:
Friday, January 25:
- VIP Wine Club Member Reception 5-8pm. Join us Friday evening for an exclusive Members Only VIP Reception as we kick-off our Second Annual Ice Wine Festival! Enjoy delicious complimentary finger foods and wine tasting. Grab a glass of your favorite Chateau Chantal wine and get to know your fellow club members around the fireplace, or peruse our wine shop, taking advantage of your 20% discount.
- We will also be debuting a limited release wine, allowing our members the option to purchase this before it hits the shelf.
Saturday, January 26:
- 11am-5pm: Tasting Room open for wine and ice wine tasting – including an indoor ice sculpture drink luge. Festival activities available during this time.
- 1:00; 2:00; 3:00pm – Free cellar tour and ice wine vineyard tour (weather permitting).
- 1:30; 2:30; 3:30pm – Be “edutained” at the ice wine micro-sessions “Frost bitten, frozen, and freakin’ cold fruit!” with our special guest The Wine Counselor Michael Schafer, Esq. “He tastes bad wine so you don’t have to!” Take a 30 minute journey exploring the ins and outs of Ice Wine as you taste through 3 of Chateau Chantal’s Ice Wine products with The Wine Counselor. $20 per person. Tickets available here.
6:00pm – Fire & Ice Wine Pairing Dinner: Hosted on Saturday evening January 26, 2019 as part of our second annual “Ice Wine Festival”. Each course of the dinner will pair synergistically with a wine hand-selected by our vintner. Satiate your palate with dishes paired harmoniously with all three of our Ice wine products: Vidal Ice wine, Entice (our port-style ice wine), and our “liquid gold” Estate bottled Ice Wine. Other wines will also be featured during the dinner to deliver an experience that is unmatched. $125/person includes food, wine, tax and tip. Tickets available here.