Each year a work of art is selected for the official Tulip Time Festival Artwork Competition. Area artists create and submit their images which are then judged by a local art expert. This year’s submissions were reviewed by Kristin Jass Armstrong, Executive Director of the Saugatuck Center for the Arts. This year, a total of 75 submittals were received from 44 area artists. The artists and artwork listed below were selected as this year’s Top 20:
- Cindy Bender: Orange Outburst
- Betsy Buurma Morton: Folk Dance
- Betsy Buurma Morton: Sun Kissed
- Katie Church: Shades of Legacy
- Lucy Collins: A Perfect Reflection
- Beth De Jong: Balloon Bouquet
- Jean Flower: Creation’s Song: Composition
- Lorma Freestone and Thea Grigsby: Gellukig 90 Jaar
- Michelle Fuller: Dancing Beneath De Zwaan
- Karen Johnson: Celebrate
- Marsha Marier: Holland Sunrise
- Susan Day Martell: Garden Dance
- Mary McCarthy: Shoe Cobbler Dance
- Sri Soekarmoen McCarthy: Maxima Dances the Skotse Trije
- Randall Nyhof: Impressionistic Dutch Tulips
- Delaney Ann Prins: Orange is Best in Holland
- Ken Rogers: Orange Tulip Dance
- Kathleen Sligh: After the Rain
- Andrew Snyder: Red and Yellow Dance into Orange
- Carolyn Stich: Enduring Delft
The winner of the 2019 Tulip Time Festival Artwork Competition will be selected by representatives from both Tulip Time and the Holland Area Arts Council. The Top 20 artists and their works will be featured at First Bloom, a special unveiling reception held in February where the winner will be announced. The remaining 19 finalists’ original works will be placed on display at the Holland Area Arts Council from May 4 through May 12, inviting the public to participate in the Viewers’ Choice Awards by voting for their favorite image. Cash prizes will be awarded on May 11 to the top three works of art with the most public votes.
Tulip Time expresses their gratitude to Alpenrose Restaurant, At Your Service Valet, EGL Tech, Elisabeth Marie Photography, Evergreen Commons, Gill Staffing, Lighthouse Group, and Next Creative Co. for their support of this event.
View the Top 20 works on Tulip Time’s website at www.tuliptime.com or on the Holland Area Arts Council website at www.hollandarts.org.
The Tulip Time Festival will be held May 4 – 12, 2019. A Festival Preview offering highlights of the 2019 program will be available in November. Full festival details will be available in the Spring Festival Guide published in March 2019.