The summer barbecuing season is finally upon us. Call your friends, family, and neighbors, and show them why your rack of ribs is the best on the block. Or you could visit one of West Michigan’s many barbecue joints, each with their secret sauce or technique. Barbecue is one of the primary food groups of summer, and there’s surely something on the menu to make your mouth water.
BBQ and Beer
When in Kalamazoo, try Arcadia Brewing Company’s Smokehouse Platter that includes smoked brisket, pulled pork, and pulled chicken covered in one of their house-made BBQ sauces. This comes with two choices of home-style sides like their famous creamy mac and cheese or jalapeno honey-drizzled cornbread.
Greenbush Brewing Company in Sawyer is known for their savory selection of southern barbeque and house-made sausages. Stop by Friday through Sunday when the large charcoal grill on the Annex patio is fired up and enjoy some of these famous sausages. Don’t forget to stop by the deli on your way out to take the taste of Greenbush home with you.
Stop by Michigan’s oldest brewery, Bell’s Brewery in Kalamazoo for some great BBQ! With over 20 beers on tap (and a variety of other beverages for non-beer drinkers), a full-service restaurant serving everything from ribs and chicken to pulled pork and brisket, and a spacious beer garden/patio, this place is a must for your summer BBQ bucket list!
Stop by Dark Horse Brewing Company in Marshall for some top-quality craft beers and fantastic and unique barbecue food that you won’t find anywhere else.
Nothing says summer like some good barbeque and a nice cold beer. Mt. Pleasant has all of this and more! Stop by downtown and discover some ribs or brisket perfect for a hot summer day in Michigan!
BBQ with a View
The Barrel Back restaurant within Hotel Walloon on Walloon Lake smokes their own chicken wings, brisket, and ribs right in house. This, in combination with the view of the lake, makes for a great summertime meal destination that you will not want to miss.
Coldwater Country is home to many great BBQ joints. Enjoy your pulled pork, barbecue ribs, or beef brisket at one of these tasty locations, or opt for carry-out and take it to enjoy at one of the 100+ lakes in the area.
Gull Lake View in Augusta with Charles & Darl’s Smokehouse and Grill is always serving up classic American fare that you will not want to miss out on. Another great option is Blue Stem with wonderful food with one of the best views in the entire state.
Sommerset Pointe’s Porter Creek Fish House in Charlevoix and their famous barbecue ribs are one thing that you have to experience the next time you’re in Northern West Michigan. Enjoy a nice rack of ribs either indoors or out on the deck overlooking the beautiful Lake Charlevoix!
On Mackinac Island, Ice House BBQ, which is inside of Island House Hotel, serves up a deliciously creative selection of classic home-style smoked barbecue favorites. Enjoy your BBQ in the beautiful garden or out on the secluded deck for a peaceful meal.
Become a Local Grill Master
Stock your pantry with grilling sauces and condiments from American Spoon in Saugatuck to spice up your grilling this summer! Every jar is handcrafted in small batches in order to capture an incredible amount of flavor in each and every jar. Check out all of their current, mouthwatering products.
5 more BBQ Joints You Have to Try This Summer
- Stop by Lewis Farms in New Era to discover the goodness of their famous Pig Slop! A bed of mashed potatoes, baked beans, pulled pork, and coleslaw all topped with tangy BBQ sauce.
- Twisted Rooster in Grand Rapids has a barbecue menu with both fan-favorite classics and a more modern take on some barbecue favorites. Choose from their iconic Twisted BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich, the one pound Tower of Ribs, or the Soda Pop Pork Lollipops, you can’t go wrong! With years of barbecue experience under their belt, Twisted Rooster is filling your summer with their special twist on barbecue.
- Check out Slow’s BBQ at the Downtown Market in Grand Rapids for some hearty portions of your favorite barbecue meats and sides. With a great location right downtown, surrounded by a wide variety of other shops and restaurants, this is a great date night idea for the summer.
- Mecosta County has some great options for all of your summer barbeque cravings. From house-brewed craft beef to slow smoked BBQ, the options are endless! Many places also offer live music and outdoor seating for you to enjoy while indulging in your summertime favorites.
- Stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Benton Harbor and enjoy a great meal at the Garden Grille & Bar right inside the hotel. Relax with your favorite cocktail or cold craft beer in their welcoming garden bar before enjoying American BBQ classics or tempting specials prepared by the Executive Chef and staff.
2018 BBQ Info
Brewery Vivant in Grand Rapids is hosting their annual Smoke Week from June 17th to 24th. Start Father’s Day week off right with a special menu full of your summer barbecue favorites. Also available on tap will be Brewery Vivant’s famous Imperial Saison, Zaison, brewed with orange peel & black peppercorns.
The Radisson Hotel in Kalamazoo is hosting Cooking with Dad on Saturday, June 16th at Zazios. The cooking class is a great way to spend Father’s Day weekend and learn a few grilling tips while you’re at it!
Stop by Round Barn Winery in Baroda on Saturday, September 29th for their special Hog Roast. Enjoy some pork sliders and wash them down with cool wine, spirits, and beer.
There is more to Michigan’s Adventure in Muskegon than roller coasters and games. Stop by on Saturday, June 16th for Mary Lynn’s Summer BBQ. Spend the day enjoying rides, slides, and thrills along with a mouthwatering meal. Click here for more information.
Virtue Cider in Fennville will be hosting a barbecue on Saturday, June 16th in honor of Father’s Day weekend. Stop by and try some of their farm-raised pork. Your taste buds will thank you!