Michigan Straight Bourbon Release Party + $6 Cocktails
- Gray Skies Distillery, Grand Rapids
- Thursday, March 22nd, 4pm-11pm
- We could not be more excited to finally announce the release of our first batch of Michigan Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
- This batch, Batch #1 of what will hopefully become one of our flagship products, was the very first product we ever distilled at Gray Skies Distillery. It has been maturing in barrels for the past 2+ years and is finally ready to be enjoyed.
- Thursday only, we will be offering $6 Bourbon cocktails and pours, as well as bottles to go ($35). This is unfortunately an extremely limited release, and we expect bottles to move pretty quickly. We will sell bottles to go for as long as they are available.
New exhibit at Krasl Art Center (St. Joseph)
- WANDERING SPIRIT: AFRICAN WAX PRINTS
- March 23-June 17
- Opening Party: this Friday, March 23 – 6:00 pm with hands-on activities
- This exhibition is a tribute to the century-old handmade designs and patterns on textiles that originated in Indonesia and were copied and industrialized by Europeans and exported to Africa. Wandering Spirit: African Wax Prints traces the developmental pathway of the African wax print and tells how these fabrics reflect the stories, dreams, and personalities of the people who wear them.
- Wax prints: A pattern is made on both sides of cotton fabric with warm liquid wax applied by a tjanting, a small brass cup with a spout. After the wax cools and solidifies, the cloth is dyed with a primary color and the wax is then removed, revealing the pattern where the wax had once been.
- Krasl Art Center hosts lots of family & kid-friendly events and workshops, as well as Spring Break camps tied into this new exhibit
The Bunny Train
- Coopersville & Marne RR
- Saturdays and Sundays, March 17-31. Saturday departures at 11:00 am and 1:30 pm. Sunday departures at 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. Adults: $19.75, Seniors 60+: $18.75, Children (2-12): $17.75, Children under two years old get a free ticket. The Conductor calls “All Aboard” at 20 minutes prior to each departure. Advance tickets available at www.mitrain.net and www.coopersvilleandmarne.org.
- The Easter Bunny and her cast of wacky characters will sing and tell jokes in each train car during the 90 minute, round-trip from Coopersville to Marne. All kids select a toy from the Bunny’s basket. The Story-Telling Princess will read spring-time books. All of the train cars are decorated for Easter and date from 1919 – 1932.
- Each has a restroom. They are heated. The locomotive is a 1952 EMD SW-9 1200 hp diesel/electric. The friendly Conductor will punch tickets during the journey through family-owned farms and fields.
- At the half-way point in the Village of Marne, the locomotive will uncouple from the east end of the train, run along a passing siding next to your coach, move back onto the main track and re-couple onto the west end of the train. Hear the clickity-clack of the rails and the horn of the locomotive as we pass over roads and bridges.
Grand Haven Area Easter Egg Hunt
- This year, we want to make the hunt even bigger. More eggs. More candy. More prizes. FOR ALL AGES. Even Golden Eggs!
- Save the date for March 30th – April 1st (or until the last egg is found)! Invite your friends and family to join you on the hunt too!
- How many eggs will we fill this year? Well it depends! We are reaching out to local businesses and organizations for prize donations. The more prizes we gather, the more eggs we will fill and hide around the Grand Haven area. We’ll keep you posted here on the event page and on visitgrandhaven.com/blog. You can also follow the planning of the event by following #VisitGHEggHunt on Instagram & Twitter.
- Why are we doing this? Because it’s fun! And it’s an Easter egg hunt for all ages – adults too!. The hunt isn’t over until the last egg has been found.
- Prizes so far (in addition to candy) include items from Grand Rapids Treetop Adventure Park, Grand Rapids Art Museum, Lemon Creek Winery, and more!