The LowellArts Players presents the 3rd Annual Play Competition, A Playwright Festival: Risky Business, a production of eight 10-minute plays written by playwrights and performed by emerging and established actors. The original works will be judged by a panel when performed for an audience, and one playwright will be given a $500 cash award. The audience also votes for their favorite play and this playwright receives a People’s Choice Award. Plays are directed by Sue Bradford and Ken Parrish. Performances are: February 16, 17, 23, 24 at 7pm and February 18 and 25 at 2pm at LowellArts Theater, 223 W Main St, Lowell, MI 49331. Tickets are $10 in advance, and $12 at the door. Advanced tickets can be purchased at www.lowellartsmi.org or at 616-897-8545.
This year, 50 plays were submitted by playwrights from across the United States, Canada, and from New Zealand. The competition was open to any playwright 18 years and older. Submissions of 10-minute plays were accepted with a deadline of November 15, 2017. Plays submitted could be drama or comedy, and were to fit the theme: Risky Business.
10-Minute Plays and Competing Playwrights Include:
- Swipe Left, Swipe Right, by Brent Alles from Wyoming, MI
- The Wedding Topper by Dan Borengasser from Springdale, AR
- Where’s This Train Going? by Bruce Guelden from Winters, CA
- Cliff Dwellers by David A. Haddad from Lansing, MI
- How to Enjoy Fruitcake by Phyllis Heltay from Alberta, Canada
- The Firm by Carl Maronich from Boubonnais, IL
- Guns and Roses by Mike Randall from Hamburg, NY
- Gas Station Sushi by Tony Targan from West Bloomfield, MI
To acquire high resolution images or to schedule an interview, please contact: Janet Teunis, Project Director, at 616-897-8545 or firstname.lastname@example.org.