The International Festival of Lights (IFOL) will kick off on Saturday, November 18 at 6 p.m., coinciding with Battle Creek’s Christmas Parade. Professional and Personal Wellness (PPW) reimagines the 2017 IFOL, incorporating participatory events and activities to supplement the festival lights throughout downtown Battle Creek.
PPW played a pivotal role in acquiring sponsors, event partners and non-profits to participate in IFOL. In total, 8 local and downtown businesses have sponsored or partnered for the festival. More than 10 non-profits participating will be decorating downtown businesses’ storefront windows.
Throughout November and December IFOL will continue holiday celebrations. Participate from Nov. 25 until Dec. 16 in weekend activities and events in downtown Battle Creek. Each weekend features a different location for Bronson Warming House, horse drawn wagon rides, scavenger hunts, unique activities and more. The four weekends have different themes all centered on offering fun and educational activities.
- IFOL-Window Decorating Contest: Vote for the most festive window in downtown designed by a local non-profit. Voting is open to the public and is from Nov. 19-Dec. 16. Cast your vote on IFOL’s Facebook page @bcfestivaloflights. The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will be announced and awarded cash prizes on Dec. 16.
- Battle Creek Symphony-Hats Off to Downton Abbey: Enjoy an evening of wonderful English orchestra music, including the Emmy Award Winning “Downtown Abbey Suite”. The Battle Creek Symphony presents “Hats Off to Downton Abbey” on Saturday, November 18 at 7:30 p.m., at W. K. Kellogg Auditorium, located at 50 W. Van Buren Street. Tickets are available to purchase by calling (269) 565-2199 or at www.YourMusicCenter.org.
- IFOL-Crafting in the Creek: Participate in free holiday arts and crafts on Saturday, November 25 from 5-8 p.m. at Hall of Toys, located at 58 W. Michigan Avenue. Crafts may include ornaments, gifts and other DIY projects. Join in more holiday fun by adding festive color to a Holiday Community Canvas located at 26 1⁄2 W. Michigan Avenue.
- IFOL-Reading in the Creek: Keep warm with a book on Saturday, December 2 from 5-8 p.m. at Battle Creek Books, located at 51 W. Michigan Avenue. Enjoy book readings from 6-7 p.m. as guest readers take the audience on adventures through favorite and new holiday books. Santa will give out free holiday books while supplies last.
- Brass Band of Battle Creek: Join the Brass Band for its annual holiday concert on Saturday, December 2 at 7:30 p.m. at W. K. Kellogg Auditorium, located at 50 W. Van Buren Street. Tickets are available to purchase at www.bbbc.net.
- IFOL-Festive Games and Athletics: Warm up with games and activities on Saturday, December 9 from 5-8 p.m. at Trek Bike Store, located at 22 Michigan Avenue. Join in the Trek Store Holiday Bike Dash from 6:30-7:30 p.m. to win Trek merchandise. The Children’s Bike Dash will be from 7:30-8 p.m. Visit the Trek Store today to sign up for the Bike Dashes. Participate in a Team Trivia Contest from 8-9 p.m. to win great prizes. The location will be announced on IFOL’s Facebook as the event date approaches.
- Battle Creek Symphony-Messiah: Experience the holiday masterpiece classic, Messiah, performed by the Battle Creek Symphony on Saturday, December 9 at 7:30 p.m., at W.K. Kellogg Auditorium. Tickets are available to purchase by calling (269) 565-2199 or at www.YourMusicCenter.org.
- IFOL-Caroling in the Creek: Families are invited for an evening of music and merry on Saturday, December 16 from 5-8 p.m. at Festival Market Square for a holiday caroling contest. Caroling groups are invited to register for free to win a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place cash prize.
IFOL activities and events are free to participate and family-friendly thanks to IFOL’s sponsors and event partners including: Bronson Battle Creek, Kellogg’s, Southern Michigan Band & Trust, Trek, Win 98.5, Hall of Toys, Calhoun Visitors Bureau, Battle Creek Books and Battle Creek Community Foundation.
Make Downtown Battle Creek your holiday destination for lights, festivities, and merry throughout November and December.
For more information about IFOL events and activities visit http://www.bcfestivals.com or follow on Facebook @bcfestivaloflights.