Whether you’re planning a visit to the Grand Traverse region, are new to the area or happen to be one of the rare “natives,” INSIDE UPNORTH is an indispensable and inspiring road map to all things wonderful to see, sip, explore, trek, and experience.
INSIDE UPNORTH from Mission Point Press, a Traverse City-based publisher, is available now. The “insider” contributors include Heather Shaw, who also designed the book, Bob Butz, Jodee Taylor, Tom Carr, Gabrielle Shaw, Mike Delp, Glen Wolff, and Duncan Spratt Moran.
At 254 pages, INSIDE UPNORTH is a bigger, better guidebook to the Northwest Lower Peninsula. It includes a unique collection of pure, magical escapes – often little-known nooks and crannies of rich delight, all across the Grand Traverse region.
Combined, the authors have more than two centuries of living in the area, and bring that knowledge and expertise to each page.
Here are highlights:
HEADING THIS WAY? INSIDE UPNORTH reviews local restaurants, bars, brew pubs and wineries so you can get the best tastes and sips north of Chicago.
GOT KIDS? INSIDE UPNORTH details all the exciting things the area offers for children of all ages, including a guided Adventure Tour of downtown Traverse City.
DO YOU PADDLE, SWIM, BIKE OR HIKE? We’ve got the skinny on the best beaches, trails, rivers and races.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THE HISTORY OF THE AREA? INSIDE UPNORTH has found a whole slew of stories covering the Native inhabitants to the first settlers, from the lumber era to the beginning of tourism. We also highlight area geology, agriculture, weather, wildflowers and birds.
THINKING OF MOVING HERE? INSIDE UPNORTH covers housing, schools, jobs and the hottest area industries.
Spread through INSIDE UPNORTH you’ll find Taylor’s Encyclopedia of Local Knowledge, where local author Jodee Taylor demonstrates everything from “How to Make Fudge” to “How to Find Morels” to “How to Pee in the Woods.”
GOT A DOG? INSIDE UPNORTH shows you all the trails, parks and beaches where you and your best friend can unleash the fun.
Also included in INSIDE UPNORTH:
- Tours and Hangouts for Motorcyclists
- Fishing the Boardman, Manistee and Au Sable Rivers
- Surfing the Great Lakes
- The UPNORTH Music Scene
- Horsemanship Culture and Competitions
- Area Museums, Galleries and Antiques
- Tours of Leelanau County and Old Mission Peninsula
- Best Area Hauntings and Spooky Spots
- A Hunter’s Guide to Area Game
- Hiking, Skiing and Touring Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore
- Short Reviews of Area Golf Courses
- Downhill Ski Resort and Cross-Country Trail Reviews
- Contributions from Local Artists and Authors Including Bob Butz, Michael Delp and Glenn Wolff
- Plus, a Complete 2017 Calendar to Local Events