Mindbender Mansion at Grand Rapids Public Museum
- New exhibit opening on May 27th at the Grand Rapids Public Museum
- The world of Mindbender Mansion allows visitors to experience an eclectic exhibit full of puzzles, brainteasers, and interactive challenges guaranteed to test the brain power and problem solving skills of even the most experienced puzzlers.
- Adults and children alike will enjoy exercising their minds as they try to master each of the 40 individual brain teasers and the five group activities in this fun and unconventional new exhibit to uncover clues & secret passwords to join to Mindbender Society.
- $2 entrance fee with general admission
- Will be at the museum through September 3rd.
Alma Highland Festival
- Join us this Memorial Day Weekend (May 27 and 28) for the 50th annual Alma Highland Festival and Games as we celebrate five decades and many hundreds of years of Scottish tradition!
- Exciting details on new entertainment, anniversary features and events will roll out this spring!
- The festival is located on the Alma College campus in Alma, Michigan. Each year the festival brings thousands of visitors the very best of Scottish tradition. The festival combines great competition with Scottish hospitality.
- The festival is HOME TO the following REGIONAL COMPETITIONS:
- -GREAT LAKES SCOTTISH HEAVYWEIGHT ATHLETIC COMPETITION (Professional/Amateur)
- -GREAT LAKES HIGHLAND DANCE CHAMPIONSHIP (Open/Closed)
- -U.S. OPEN PIPE BAND CHAMPIONSHIP SUPREME
- Watch dozens of world class pipers and drummers playing at once in a massed band performance.
- Find out about your heritage and hear about Scottish traditions at our many CLAN TENTS.
- Check out the ENTERTAINMENT TENT, featuring live professional entertainment and cold beer on tap.
- Or take a 5K or 10 K lap, 5K Walk or Kids Fun Run of Scotland USA in the Saturday morning SERIES OF RACES before the 10:30 am STREET PARADE rolls through town.
S.S. Milwaukee Clipper Auction & Brunch
- The popular event is a major fundraiser for the S.S. Milwaukee Clipper, berthed in Muskegon as a floating maritime museum.
- The S.S. Milwaukee Clipper is the oldest surviving passenger ship on the Great Lakes.
- All proceeds from the brunch, auction and raffle go toward the preservation of the S.S. Milwaukee Clipper.
- Suction & Brunch at the Muskegon Country Club this Sunday, May 21st, 2017
- Tickets $30.00 Each
- Again, the auction will be held at the Muskegon Country Club starting with brunch at 11:00 am, then about 12:30-1:00 the live auction will get started. The silent auction will continue through brunch and go til the live auction is over.
- Tours start Memorial Day Weekend and run until Labor Day Weekend
- Ship is open every Saturday and Sunday from 1pm Til 5pm. The last tour leaves at 4:15pm
- Tickets : Adults $7.00 – Students $5.00 – Children under 6 yrs old Free.
Michigan Spaces/Michigan Places Opening Reception
- Thu May 25th 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- Holland Area Arts Council, 150 E 8th St, Holland, MI 49423, USA map
- Keith Downie and Tom Tomasek bring their work together in an exhibition that documents and celebrates the typical, the unnoticed and the nondescript spaces and places of Michigan.
- Keith Downie paints Michigan’s places, always including a typical, nondescript Michigan house. He calls them Real Estate Paintings. The houses he paints are ubiquitous in western Michigan. They are so numerous that we don’t examine them individually; we don’t discriminate between them. Why would would we? Downie says they are “not extraordinary, but very much at the center of the slow motion drama that is the economic and political landscape of Michigan.” That is why he paints them.
- Tom Tomasek takes a similar approach to Michigan’s spaces. While growing up in rural Michigan, he was instilled with an appreciation for the land that surrounded him. While traditional landscape paintings have documented many glorious places, he feels that all the views are equally important. The work assembled in this exhibit pays homage to the “less than spectacular” places that are often an overlooked part of daily life.
- Join us as we open the exhibition with wine, light snacks and conversation with the artists. The exhibition and opening are free and open to the public. The exhibition will be on display through August 12.