The “Best Spellers in Benzie” will be crowned for a fourth consecutive year during Stormcloud Brewing Company’s annual Adult Spelling Bee and Fundraiser. The spring spelling contest takes place Friday, May 5 from 8-10pm at Stormcloud’s Frankfort pub and will raise funding for The Friends of the Benzie Shores District Library.
A maximum of 20 teams of 1-2 people will compete in the spelling bee with prizes awarded to the top three teams. Spelling bee entry fees and 20% of Stormcloud’s pub sales on the night of the spelling bee will be donated as part of Stormcloud Builds Community, a charitable-giving program started by the Benzie County brewery in 2014.
This year’s fundraising recipient, The Friends of the Benzie Shores District Library, is a non-profit organization that provides support for services, programs, and equipment at Benzie Shores District Library in Frankfort. Funds raised during the spelling bee will help support the library’s Kids Summer Reading Program and Early Literacy efforts. Learn more about The Friends of the Benzie Shores District Library by visiting BenzieShoresLibrary.org.
This year’s spelling bee will be hosted by Brian Lawson, Director of Public Relations at Crystal Mountain. The entry fee is $25 per team. Teams can register to compete by visiting StormcloudBrewing.com/bee.
As part of its Stormcloud Builds Community initiative, Stormcloud Brewing Company selects one charitable organization making a difference in northern Michigan to share its message with Stormcloud’s customers and to help raise funding for the organization. Recipients are chosen every month during the summer season and quarterly thereafter.
To date, Stormcloud Builds Community has helped support 16 nonprofit organizations:
- Benzie County Baby Pantry (https://www.facebook.com/BCBP.SPEC/)
- Frankfort American Legion, John A. Mortenson Post 221 (https://www.facebook.com/Frankfort-American-Legion-John-A-Mortenson-Post-221-342172449275654/)
- Archipelago Project (http://archipelagoproject.org)
- Benzie Area Christian Neighbors (http://benziebacn.org)
- Benzie County Council on Aging (http://benziecoa.org)
- Benzie County Water Festival (http://water-festival.org)
- Crystal Lake & Watershed Association (http://www.clwa.us)
- Friends of the Betsie Valley Trail (http://www.betsievalleytrail.org)
- Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy (https://www.gtrlc.org)
- Grow Benzie (http://growbenzie.org)
- Habitat for Humanity of Benzie County (http://www.benziehabitat.org)
- Lakeside Shakespeare Theater (http://www.lakesideshakespeare.org)
- Michigan Legacy Art Park (http://www.michlegacyartpark.org)
- Oliver Art Center (http://oliverartcenterfrankfort.org)
- Panther Parents (Frankfort-Elberta Area Schools)
- Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail (http://sleepingbeartrail.org)
About Stormcloud Brewing Company
Stormcloud Brewing Company opened in June 2013 just two blocks from Lake Michigan in the coastal city of Frankfort, located in northwest lower Michigan. A small brewery specializing in Belgian-style brewing, Stormcloud offers 16 taps in addition to a full menu of flatbread pizzas, small plate appetizers, soups and salads, sandwiches, and specialty popcorn. In August 2016, Stormcloud was named the Best New Brewery in Michigan by MLive Media Group. Visit Stormcloud online at Stormcloudbrewing.com.