This year, Whitecaps fans voted to put the Grand Rapids “Beer City” stamp on a Canadian staple. Beercheese Poutine won the 2017 Fan Food Vote, presented by Zeeland Food Services, Inc., makers of Zoye Premium Vegetable Oil!
Beercheese Poutine is a delicious combination of pulled pork, bbq sauce, beer cheese and green onions over waffle fries. It will be served at the new “Game of Cones” Cart located on the concourse behind home plate. Fans will get their first chance to try the 2017 winner at the Whitecaps home opener on April 6th.
The Whitecaps narrowed down a list of hundreds and hundreds of menu suggestions to 10 finalists, and earlier this month, fans chose the winner. Beercheese Poutine won out over items such as the “I Full Tower,” the “Alan Spammell” and “Deep Fried Bubble Gum.” Rusty Morningstar of Muskegon is thrilled that his submission was the winner. “When I saw the Whitecaps were looking for food ideas I thought this would be a great addition to the Fifth Third Ballpark menu. I can’t wait for the fans to give it a try. Heck, I’ll be there Opening Day and I may be the first in line!”
Whitecaps Director of Food and Beverage Matt Timon loves this choice. “It’s been interesting to see the evolution of the fans’ wants. When we first started this promotion, outrageous items like the Declaration of Indigestion (foot long hot dog and cheesesteak combination) and the Baco (taco shell made of bacon) won, but for the last few years they’ve voted for taste. This year they chose wisely as the Beercheese Poutine tastes amazing! I can see this becoming a fan favorite for years to come.”
Two new Concession Carts:
“Game of Cones” – When a plate and fork stand between you and your dinner…. visit the “Game of Cones” cart on the main concourse! Here you can get an edible bread cone and fill it with your choice of pulled pork, mac ‘n cheese, bacon and several other options.
“Wok Off” – It’s the ballpark’s first major foray into Asian food. We’ll have Teriyaki Chicken, beef, rice and vegetables ready to take to your seat. It’s an easy way to get takeout at the ballpark!
Other notable new concessions items:
- The Comstock Park Burger is a classic Whitecaps hamburger with a new Twist! Served in a Pretzel Bun with Monterey Jack Cheese, and a burst of flavor from Doritos that hits it out of the ball park. This Burger is the Creation of two local students: 8th grader Carter Vander Meer from Mill Creek Middle School and freshman Brenden Pelton from Comstock Park High School.
- The Whitecaps Gluten Free Menu continues to expand with the addition of Brazilian Cheese Bread
- Deep Fried Twinkies make a triumphant and delicious return
- Cole’s Middles is a new product that has mac ‘n cheese stuffed in Cole’s bread rolls
- Bac ‘n Bones are smoked pork ribs served on a bed of mac ‘n cheese
The Whitecaps’ 24th opening day is set for Thursday, April 6th, at 6:35 p.m. against the South Bend Cubs. The first 1,200 fans through the gates will receive a Whitecaps Alpine Hat courtesy of Fifth Third Bank. Post-game Family Fare Fireworks will conclude the opening day celebration. Season tickets, groups and mini plans are on sale now and can be purchased by calling the Whitecaps at 616-784-4131. More information, including the full 2017 schedule, is available at www.whitecapsbaseball.com.