Spring break is coming up, and if you don’t have plans to head somewhere out of state, that’s okay. There are lots of places here in Michigan that are great for trips. Jeremy Witt from the West Michigan Tourist Association joined WZZM to talk about some of them. Below is their list of some top places to check out in Michigan:
W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary Events
- Visit the W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary in Augusta during spring break with your family for an outdoor education experience, or just enjoy the Sanctuary’s trails in springtime weather!
- On April 1, the Build-a-Box NestWatch Workshop allows your family to make and take home a nestbox for Eastern Bluebirds, Tree Swallows, and other birds.
- On April 2, celebrate W.K. Kellogg’s birthday with free admission to the Sanctuary at the 90 Years of Sustaining the Vision Open House!
- On April 9, get to know the Sanctuary’s ambassador raptors and participate in fun family-oriented activities at Birds of Prey Live.
- Make spring break both a fun and educational time with some of these unique birds!
Downtown Market Spring Break Classes
- The Downtown Market in Grand Rapids is hosting two spring break classes for kids ages 7 to 11!
- Bring your kids in between April 4th and 6th for Break Globetrotters where they’re taken around the globe as they make foods including Jamaican jerk chicken skewers, Asian egg rolls, Norwegian elk sliders, and Madagascar marshmallows on the braai.
- Also on those dates is their Spring Break “Roadtrippers” as kids cook up tasty Memphis barbeque, Chicago-style hot dogs, and southwest veggie Quesadilla.
Electric Bike Place in Grand Haven
- If you’re staying in the Grand Haven area, the Electric Bike Place has rentals to get you out on the town this spring break. Explore the town without breaking a sweat. You can rent electric bikes by the hour and explore the natural beauty of Grand Haven.
- If you want to test drive one of their bikes before you rent, they have a multi-terrain track that allows you to hit hills, pavement, and off-roading all in one place.
- You can bike as much as you want without assistance and once you find that you’re becoming winded, you can kick on the motor and be able to still make it home.
- There are many different styles of electric bike including beach cruisers, commuter or city bikes, foldable travel bikes, and mountain/fat tire bikes.
Petoskey Area – Boyne Mountain & Kilwin’s Chocolate Kitchen
- Looking for a spring break getaway that won’t break the bank? Head to the Petoskey Area of Northern Michigan where the savings and free activities mean more family fun and less stress on mom and dad.
- Low lodging rates mean you can escape to a hotel, condo, or vacation home,
- Visit Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark at Boyne Mountain, some of the area’s great dining options, the free chocolate tours at Kilwin’s Chocolate Kitchen, and more in an area where fun is always in season.