The Muskegon Museum of Art has events and exhibits for your whole family this spring.
Balloon Super Saturday
Saturday, March 11, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
This Super Saturday will take you up, up and away! We will explore and create with the wonders of blow up art. Save up your hot air; you will need it for this floating adventure.
- 10:00 am & 1:00 pm – Film Up! (96 mins.) – Join the unlikely pair of Carl, an elderly homebody, and 8-year old Russell, a wilderness explorer, as they trek on a worldly adventure marked with a villain, a rare bird, and LOTS of balloons.
- 11:00 am – 1:00 pm Guided Tours – Enjoy a guided trek through Blow Up: Inflatable Contemporary Art with a Museum docent.
- 11:00 am – 2:00 pm Make & Take – Learn how to make balloon animals with “the balloon guy” Jim Perry.
Super Saturday free admission and activities are underwritten by MMA Education Partner Arconic/Whitehall Operations.
Kids’ Open Mic Night
Thursday, March 23, 5:00 – 7:00 pm
- 5:00 – 6:00 pm Kids’ Poetry – Join volunteers from the Reading Corp as they read some of their favorite poetry. The reading will be held in the David (Shannon) Goes to the Museum exhibition which will inspire you visually while you take in some great poetry.
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm Open Mic – Do you have some poetry or prose to share? This casual gallery gathering will give literary artists a chance to share their work. Event is free and open to the public.
Expressions 2017 Celebration Receptions
35th Annual Muskegon County Student Art Exhibition
Expressions, the annual Muskegon County student art exhibition, is a collaboration between the Muskegon Area Intermediate School District and the MMA that showcases the artistic talents of Muskegon County K-12 students. Artworks in a variety of media, selected by art specialists from each of the public, charter, and private schools in the county, will be in the show.
- Tuesday, March 28, 5:30 – 7:00 pm Middle/High School Student Reception
- Wednesday March 29, 5:30 – 7:00 pm Elementary Student Reception
Visit the exhibition and attend student receptions to celebrate and support our county’s young student artists and their creative vision. Refreshments will be served and event admission is free and open to the public.
Underwritten by the MAISD, Comerica, and Old Orchard.
Family Spring Break Days
Tuesday – Friday, April 4-7
Take an adventure and explore the MMA’s awesome art collection and never have to leave Muskegon! Join us each day as we dive into a new artwork and explore the galleries.
Free admission for one adult accompanying a child.
Instructor: Ronace Hogan
Daily Spring Break Schedule
- 11:00 am – 1:00 pm docent-led art exploration in the gallery
- 11:00 am – 2:00 pm arts and crafts in the classroom
- 11:30 pm – family film in the auditorium
- Tuesday – Big City Life (Roger Brown)
- Wednesday – Day on the Farm (John Steuart Curry)
- Thursday – Sea Life (Montague Dawson)
- Friday – Meet David at the Museum (David Shannon Illustrations)
Pirates Super Saturday
Saturday, April 8, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Free Family Fun Day
ARRRR, matey! Sail the waves of story making and imagination at this Super Saturday! Super Saturday free admission and activities are underwritten by MMA Education Partner Arconic/Whitehall Operations.
- 10:00 am & 1:30 pm Film: Hook (142 mins.) – In this contemporary classic, Peter Pan (Robin Williams) grows up to be an unhappy, crooked lawyer who is living the opposite life of his youthful, playful days. In a twist of events, he is drawn back to Never Neverland when his children are kidnapped by Captain Hook, giving him a chance for redemption.
- 11:00 am – 1:00 pm Guided Exhibition Tour – Explore David (Shannon) Goes to the Museum with a Museum docent.
- 11:00 am – 2:00 pm Make & Take – Create pirate hats and eye patches to complete your pirate look.
David (Shannon) Goes to the Museum: The Illustrations of David Shannon
Through April 16, 2017
David (Shannon) Goes to the Museum highlights the whimsical and humorous art of internationally acclaimed author and illustrator David Shannon. One of his most popular, No, David!, is a semi-autobiographical story of a young boy being constantly told, “No, David!” by his mother. Seventy-five original works—including sketches, studies, and final illustrations—for this book and others will be on display. Some of the books that will be showcased are A Bad Case of Stripes; Alice the Fairy; The Rain Came Down; and three more picture books featuring David: David Gets in Trouble; David Goes to School; and It’s Christmas, David! Born in Washington, D.C., Shannon grew up in Spokane, Washington. He graduated from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, and then moved to New York City. Beyond books, his illustrations have appeared in a wide variety of publications, including The New York Times, Time, and Rolling Stone. David Shannon lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Heidi and their daughter, Emma. Organized by the National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature
Underwritten by the Folkert Family Foundation. Media Sponsor—WGVU Public Media.
Blow Up: Inflatable Contemporary Art
Through April 23, 2017
Inflatable structures connote fun and whimsy, and challenge our everyday, feet-on-the-ground perspective. BLOW UP: Inflatable Contemporary Art explores the imaginative ways that artists use air as a tool for creating large-scale sculpture and includes imagery that is figurative, conceptual, and abstract. Accessible, yet rich with meaning, these pieces use perception of space and unexpected materials to open a dialogue about pop culture and social norms. Visitors to the gallery will encounter a life-size inflatable Trans Am, 14 foot tall pink bunnies, and a 25 foot long reclining Buddha figure, to name just a few of the dynamic and wildly engaging inflatable sculptures installed in the gallery. Organized by the Bedford Gallery, at the Lesher Center for the Arts, Walnut Creek, CA. Made possible by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. Underwritten by DTE Energy Foundation. Sponsor—PNC Bank. Media Sponsor—WGVU Public Media.
Expressions 2017: 35th Annual Muskegon County Student Art Exhibition
March 21 – April 23, 2017
Expressions is a collaboration between the Muskegon Area Intermediate School District and the MMA that showcases the artistic talents of Muskegon County K-12 students in the visual arts. Artworks in a variety of media, selected by art specialists from each of the public, charter, and private schools in the county, will be in the show. Sponsored by the MAISD, Comerica, and Old Orchard.