St. Cecilia Music Center proudly presents four world-class stars from the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center on January 26, 2017. These four artists include pianist Alessio Bax, violinists Ani Kavafian and Yura Lee and cellist Paul Watkins all who rank in the top tier of the chamber music world. Among them, they have traveled to and performed in every corner of the globe.
Cathy Holbrook, Executive Director of SCMC explains, “Sometimes people have the idea that chamber music concert will be stuffy and that the artists will be unapproachable. This idea can’t be further from the truth! The many artists from the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center are some of the most fun and outgoing people I’ve met. And this exuberance shines through during their exquisite performances. I’m very excited to have these four artists here and to introduce them, up close and personal in the intimate Royce Auditorium, to our enthusiastic Grand Rapids audience.”
The four CMS of Lincoln Center Artists – Bax, Kavafian, Lee and Watkins – will
perform works by Brahms and Fauré including:
- Brahms Scherzo, WoO 2, from “F-A-E” Sonata for Violin and Piano
- Faure Quartet No. 2 in G minor for Piano, Violin, Viola and Cello. Op 45
- Brahms Quartet No. 2 in A Major for Piano, Violin, Viola and Cello, Op. 26
Concert tickets are $38 and $43 and can be purchased by calling St. Cecilia Music Center at 616-459-2224 or visiting the box office at 24 Ransom Ave. NE. Tickets can also be purchased online at www.scmc-online.org.
Other highlights of the evening will be:
- A pre-concert wine and hors d’oeurves reception from 6:00 – 7:00 pm in the 2nd floor newly renovated Ballroom for $15;
- A pre-concert artist talk. Musicians performing that evening will take part in a question and answer session moderated by Grand Rapids Symphony President Peter Kjome in Royce Auditorium from 7 – 7:30 pm preceding the concert; and
- A complimentary post-concert wine, coffee and dessert reception for the audience to meet the artists and obtain signed CDs of their releases.
- A third concert by The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center will take place in March.
March 16, 2017 will close the CMS series with a program entitled “French Virtuosity” featuring co-artistic director and pianist Wu Han, performing with colleagues Kristin Lee, Yura Lee and Arnaud Sussman, violin; Richard O’Neill, viola and Nicholas Canellakis, cello. “French Virtuosity” will include:
- Leclair Concerto in E minor for Violin, String Quartet and Continuo, Op. 10, No. 5
- Françaix Trio for Violin, Viola and Cello
- Ravel Tzigane, rapsodie de concert for Violin and Piano
- Chausson Concerto in D Major for Violin, Piano and String Quartet, Op. 21
For more information about the performing artists and The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center see www.chambermusicsociety.org.