North Point Light, Milwaukee
Originally constructed in1855 the North Point Lighthouse and Keeper’s Quarters were built of cream city brick, was 28-feet tall and stood on a bluff making the elevation of the beacon 107 feet above water. The lens in the lighthouse was a Fourth Order Fresnel lens. In 1868, the original lens was replaced and the lantern room rebuilt.
In the 1870’s, shore erosion caused 16 feet of the Lighthouse’s front yard to break loose and drop to the beach. At this time, the government decided to build a new lighthouse 100 feet inland. The new lighthouse was a 39-foot high octagon shaped structure constructed of bolted cast iron sections and completed in 1888. At this time the present Keeper’s Quarters were also built. The 1868 lens was placed in the new Lighthouse.
In the early 1900’s, due to the difficulty of trees obscuring the light from being seen by mariners on Lake Michigan, the light was turned off. In 1913, a new 35 – foot steel structure was completed next to the old lighthouse. The old light tower was then reassembled on top of the new structure, making the tower 74-feet high and the light was placed back into service.
In 1994, the Lighthouse and Keeper’s Quarters were taken out of service by the U.S. Coast Guard. Today, the 2 – acre lighthouse property is permanent part of Lake Park and owned by Milwaukee County. In 2004, North Point Lighthouse Friends entered into a long-term lease agreement with Milwaukee County. The Lighthouse Tower Restoration has been completed and the keeper’s quarter restoration has begun.
Public Tours are available Saturdays May – October 1 – 4 p.m. and November – April on the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Under 5: Free
Under 12: $3.00
Age 12 and up: $5.00 per person
Source and Additional Information: