Langley Covered Bridge
Spans: St. Joseph River
Total Length: 281 feet
Stretching 282 feet across the St. Joseph River, the Langley Bridge is the longest of West Michigan's few remaining covered bridges.Langley Bridge is also one of the longest in the nation. Located three miles north of Centreville on CR-133 in St. Joseph County, its name honors Thomas W. Langley, who, in 1831, was Centreville's first settler.
Langley Bridge was built in the fall of 1887 by Pierce Bodner of nearby Parkville. Bodner utilized the Howe truss system and used top-quality white pine for the frame timbers. The bridge features three spans, each 94 feet long. It is 16 feet high and 19 feet wide.
Despite the fact that Langley Bridge was raised eight feet during construction of the Sturgis Dam in 1910, it still sits unusually low for a river crossing. Its longevity is a small miracle.
In 1950-51, the bridge was extensively repaired by the St. Joseph County Road Commission. During an inspection, the superintendent, Paul Pashby, fell from the bridge into 28 feet of water. Fortunately, he was able to latch onto a dangling rope and was pulled to safety.
The Langley Covered Bridge was listed with the Michigan State Register on August 31, 1965. It was awarded a Michigan Historical Marker on September 28 of the same year.
Directions: From Mendon, follow M-60 west, then drive south on Silver Street (CR-133) for four miles.